The ride to the hospital was pure torture. Bryant felt each dip in the road and turn that we made. The whole trip he was thinking of all the things that he would be missing out on because of this broken arm - the rest of the school soccer season, spring baseball, a rock climbing trip, piano lessons, Rock Band.........it was so sad to think of him missing out on what he loves so much.
When we finally got to the hospital, I was pretty nervous that it was going to take forever for Bryant to be seen, but Rick made sure he pressured the staff enough that they moved him to the front of the line. As soon as his x-rays were taken, they found him a bed in the E.R. and that is where we were for the next 15 hours.
The staff did their best to get Bryant treated as quickly as possible, but when the orthopedic surgeon got there, he looked at the x-rays and decided that Bryant would definately need surgery. More bad new was that the operating room was already booked through midnight. So it was decided that we would have the surgery at 8:00 a.m., but there was another glitch.......there wasn't an extra bed in the hospital for Bryant, so he would have to stay in the emergency room for the night. Before the orthopedic surgeon left, he sedated Bryant and set his arm the best he could so that he would be able to sleep.
It was a rough night in a very noisy E.R. Bryant was on enough morphine that he was able to sleep fairly well. Rick went home for a few hours to sleep and I got a few minutes of sleep here and there.
Just before 8:00, the doctor showed up and the nurses started prepping Bryant for surgery. He was nervous for the procedure, but he continued to be brave. The surgery lasted longer than expected. Instead of just needing a pin in one of the bones, a plate and screws were also needed in the other bone. The pin will be removed in a few months and the plate in about a year.
Throughout this trauma, we were so impressed with Bryant. He "took it like a man" and never really cried. He had tears in his eyes and moaned, but all things considered, he did amazing! The treatment from all of the hospital staff was great. They were compassionate and understanding of Bryant's pain and our discomfort and fears. Even though I am frustrated with the lack of good hospital care in our area, I don't think we could have been treated any better than we were.
Below are pictures of Bryant's broken arm. Warning: the contents are graphic


5 comments:
Oh my goodness... what a weekend. I am so sorry to hear about Bryant's injury and I desperately hope there is something we can do to put a smile on that boy's face. Let us know how we can help and hang in there Bryant.
I hope that Erin told you I called yesterday to find out what was going on. That was before this post. Now I'm in the know even more. Poor Bryant! And poor you for having to stay at the hospital all night. I can sympathize with being in the ER for so many hours through the night. Yuck! I'm glad that he's on the mend and hope he's feeling better!
Poor guy! Good story to tell though! WOW, from the pictures it looks like it was really bad. But, he's a Chase= strong guy!!! ;)
WOW poor guy!! He looks really beat up in that last photo. It's stressful when your kids get hurt. All will be well.
please...let's T.P the kid that did this. Talk about crazy, and scary! Hope he's doing good now.
Post a Comment